Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Patriot Games

Why are people bitching about the Patriots running up the score? Look, I'm a Broncos fan, always have been, always will be. But I have no problem with what the Patriots are doing right now. This is unlike anything any football fan has ever seen.

Think about it, college football teams will 70-7 and it's justified because they're looking for style points in the BCS. But that's amateur athletes beating the piss out of another group of 18-22 year olds, not getting paid, just for a bullshit system.

The Patriots, hate 'em or love 'em, are playing in the NFL. These are the best football players on the planet and if you can't stop them from kicking your teeth in, don't bitch, look in the mirror. Stop them if you don't want to get embarrassed. Are we really supposed to feel bad for guys making 4 million dollars a year losing a football game 56-10? Let's get a grip on reality. I'll call all my friends up and go lose 200-0 if you're going to pay me 4 mil.

The Patriots are good for football. The fact that a team is making a serious, and I mean serious, run at 16-0 is sensational. I'm rooting for it to happen. Why? Because the '72 Dolphins haven't let go yet and it would be historical (and don't we all want to see history happen in sports, except the Bonds home run chase, but as Nicky Stats would say, "They can't all be winners.")

The Broncos just beat the Titans to improve to 5-5 and put themselves in position to win a pitiful AFC West. And guess what? I don't care. They can't beat the Patriots or Colts (and probably not another game against the Steelers.) So everyone else is playing for second place. I still root for my team, but at the same time, I have no problem watching the Patriots beat the ever-living-shit out of opponents.

I can't wait for a 100-point game when the Pats play the Jets again. Poor Mangini!

No comments: